Friday, April 12, 2013

The real reason for PC sales decline.


There's an idiotic blame game going on with the current "slump" in PC sales. The blame is being cast on either mobile devices or operating systems, but no body is pointing a finger at the folks ultimately responsible for making the hardware that is the PC.

There are some writers who have pointed out that their computer from a few years ago doesn't need upgrading. This is half of the truth. They feel that there's no reason for upgrading the hardware because it's still fine.

We were promised real time ray tracing in games in 2008, and now, 5 years later we're still seeing forward rendering or deferred rendering systems at best. We were promised 2560x1440 monitors would be the new standard in monitor resolution, but 1920x1080 is still the "high end" with 1366x768 still on the top of the heap as far as browsers seem to be concerned. I want a 4k monitor, like three years ago.

If i could get a trio of 27" 4k monitors for 700 a piece, sure I'd get that, but then I'd need a set of video cards that don't exist. I'd like to run them in 3d, with physics, and the real time ray tracing with sub-surface scattering, refractions, and all of the "film" like qualities that could be done, if CPUs and GPUs could handle it. But there's the problem. None of the hardware exists for doing these things, and your "just fine" computer has no chance in hell of being able to do even half of this.

Intel, AMD, nVidia, IBM, you guys have been slacking! You're the real bottle neck for the desktop advancement and the reason for the sales slump. Offer up a 10ghz 128core 16GB L3 cache running at 10 watts, I'd be there. Give me a trio of 24GB video cards with millions of cores I'd put them in. If i could get a 20TB SSD sure, I'd put that in my new system as well, but I can't it doesn't exist.

Between 1993 and 2003 CPUs were practically doubling in speed and power, then electrons started giving transistors problems. But we've discovered many different solutions, many different alternatives and new methods to overcome the limitations.

We've been promised graphene wafers, single atom thick germanium wafers to solve these problems, but so far nothing has hit the market. Every day I read about IBM making headway into quantum computers, but I can't buy anything from that research, so why should I care?

I've been reading about super cheap manufacturing methods for making gigantic high res OLED screens, so why aren't there any 300.00 2560x1440 monitors out there?

Common, folks, PCs aren't getting better, that's why no one is buying them. Your old pc sucks, it seriously does. It's just even more unfortunate that nothing better has come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

rxokita's shared items